Principal Scientist/Associate Director, Immuno-Oncology
Codagenix Inc. is a clinical-stage synthetic biology company that uses AI-aided software to recode the genomes of viruses to design prophylactic viral vaccines and novel virotherapeutics for cancer. Codagenix has established a robust clinical and preclinical pipeline of live-attenuated viral vaccines, discovered using our nimble and species-agnostic platform technology. In the context of immuno-oncology, Codagenix’s recoded viruses induce a robust innate and adaptive immune response resulting in a holistic modulation of the tumor microenvironment. The company is expanding the oncology vertical to further develop its oncolytic virus candidates.
The growing immuno-oncology group at Codagenix is seeking an experienced and highly motivated scientist with a translational mindset to support preclinical development of oncolytic virus candidates for various cancers.
In this high-impact role, you will lead mechanism of action studies supporting preclinical-to-clinical translation of virotherapeutic candidates and support discovery of novel virus candidates. Reporting directly to the EVP Oncology, this hands-on role will be responsible for generating high-quality data packages, contributing to regulatory documents, and supporting strategic decision-making.
We are looking for a proactive, resourceful, and goal-oriented team member with a do-what-it-takes attitude, who is willing to take ownership of workstreams and is able to work effectively both independently and as part of a matrixed project team. This role is based in our new, state-of-the-art research facility at Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA with some remote work available as lab work allows.
- Conduct of in vivo studies to assess the efficacy and combination potential of virotherapeutic candidates.
- Characterization of pharmacodynamic changes in the tumor microenvironment in response to oncolytic virotherapy.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with members of the Codagenix team to devise, refine and implement innovative strategies for discovery and development of codon-modified virotherapeutics.
- Establish primary human immune cell assays and co-culture systems to interrogate immunomodulatory effects of oncolytic viruses and drive assay technology innovation.
- Accurate and timely documentation and reporting of scientific findings.
- Support laboratory operations in a growing team.
- Outstanding communication skills and demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and communicate scientific content.
- Strong sense of accountability and a high degree of independence and proactivity.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time efficiently, and implement creative solutions to meet program needs in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills including critical and analytical thinking
- PhD in immuno-oncology, immunology, biology or related field with 6+ years of postdoctoral training in either of those disciplines and 3+ years of industry experience.
- Hands-on experience conducting research to phenotypically and functionally characterize various immune cell populations in vitro and ex vivo using flow cytometry, transcriptomics and cytokine release assays.
- Proficiency with standard small rodent in vivo handling and drug administration techniques.
- Experience with a variety of anti-cancer agents in vitro and in vivo, including but not limited to checkpoint inhibitors and cytotoxic chemotherapeutics.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design experiments with appropriate controls and development experimental plans with several months of planning horizon.
- Extensive prior experience with culture of a wide range of immune cell types, including lymphocytes and multiple myeloid cell types.
- Prior active contribution to defining program plans and decision-making milestones beyond participation in cross-functional project teams.
- Exposure to basic virologic assay setups, including virus infection and titration in vitro.
Please email CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Note: Candidates for this position must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis, and Codagenix will not sponsor applicants for work visas. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Codagenix is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.