Scientist, Preclinical Vaccine Discovery
Location: Farmingdale, NY
Reports to: Chief Scientific Officer
Codagenix Inc. is a clinical-stage synthetic biology company that uses software to recode the genomes of viruses, constructing live-attenuated vaccines or viruses to prevent viral infections or treat solid tumors. Codagenix’s recoded vaccine candidates are a perfect antigenic match to the target virus and induce a robust immune response to all viral antigens. Our nimble platform allows us to turn a virus into a potential prophylactic vaccine.
We are seeking a Scientist with laboratory experience for a full time, on site, Scientist position in preclinical vaccine discovery including the design, synthesis, recovery and testing (in vitro and in vivo) of live attenuated viral vaccines. In this high-impact role, you will contribute to the development of new vaccines against unmet clinical needs. Reporting directly to the Chief Scientific Officer, you will be responsible for generating high-quality data packages and contribute to regulatory documents. We are looking for a proactive, resourceful, and goal-oriented team member with a translational mindset and a do-what-it-takes attitude, who is able to work effectively both independently and as part of a matrixed project team.
- Perform ELISAs, PCRs, DNA isolation, DNA electrophoresis and other assays.
- Perform cell-based virus propagation and quantification protocols
- Characterize vaccine virus growth in vitro and in vivo (mice)
- Perform basic (pure), translational, and exploratory scientific research and development/improvement of vaccines.
- Demonstrate expertise and apply independent judgement and expert knowledge in performing a variety of scientific techniques and methodologies.
- Independently design research studies.
- Process laboratory samples, execute assays, document results, and compile and analyze data.
- Work independently to plan and execute work, analyze results and develop scientific recommendations.
- Write and maintain detailed laboratory records and maintain a clean and safe laboratory environment.
- PhD, DVM, or MD with a strong research background in virology, microbiology, immunology, biomedical sciences or a related field with 2-4 years of postdoctoral training in either of those disciplines
- Full competency in bench research, including basic research techniques such as molecular cloning, PCR and qPCR, cell culture, etc
- Exposure to basic virologic assay setups, including virus infection and titration in vitro.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and analyze experiments.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time efficiently, and implement creative solutions to meet program needs in a faced environment.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and communicate complex scientific content in a concise manner.
- Must work well in teams with other scientists
- Excellent record keeping and attention to detail
- Comfort with statistical analyses and related software (Excel, GraphPad Prism)
- High degree of independence, proactivity, and a strong sense of accountability.
- Excellent problem-solving skills including critical and analytical thinking.
- First author publications in high impact journals
- Experience in virology, in vivo work, and/or cell biology is strongly preferred
- Experience with reverse genetics systems is a strong plus
Please email CV and cover letter to [email protected]
Note: Candidates for this position must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis, and Codagenix will not sponsor applicants for work visas. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Codagenix is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment decisions are made on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.